CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 08, 2018omxadmin
CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 08, 2018
Daily GK Update: 8th February, 2017 For All The Upcoming Exams
RBI: 6TH BI-MONTHLY MONETARY POLICY
- The Reserve Bank of India kept the the repo rates unchanged at 6 percent.
- The reverse repo rate under the LAF remains at 5.75 percent, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.25 percent.
- GVA growth for 2017-18 is projected at 6.6%. GVA growth for 2018-19 is projected at 7.2% overall with risks evenly balanced.
GOOGLE AND NCERT JOIN HANDS TO TEACH STUDENTS DIGITAL SAFETY
- Google and NCERT signed a pact to integrate a course on ‘Digital Citizenship and Safety’ in information and communication technology curriculum.
- It was signed on the occasion of Safer Internet Day, Feb 6.
- It will be used to train students across 1.4 million schools in India where they will learn how to become good and responsible digital citizens.
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training is an autonomous organisation of the Government of India headquartered in New Delhi.
NUCLEAR-CAPABLE PRITHVI-II MISSILE SUCCESSFULLY TEST-FIRE
- India has successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile as part of a user trial by the Army from a test range in Odisha.
- ike range of 350 km was launched from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur.
- Prithvi-II is capable of carrying 500-1,000 kilogram of warheads and is thrusted by liquid propulsion twin engines.
KARNATAKA PANEL PROPOSES 3-COLOUR OFFICIAL STATE FLAG
- A committee is constituted by the Kannada and Culture department of the Karnataka government to examine the feasibility of having a separate flag for the state.
- It recommends three-coloured flag to replace an unofficial two-coloured one currently used to signify local pride.
- It was led by chairman of Kannada Development Authority G S Siddaramaya.
Chief Minister: Siddaramaiah
Governor: Vajubhai Vala
CABINET APPROVES PMRF SCHEME
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved implementation of ‘Prime Minister’s Research Fellows (PMRF)’ scheme.
- It has been laid at a total cost of Rs 1650 crore for a period of seven years beginning 2018-19.
- The scheme has been announced in the Budget Speech 2018-19.
HARYANA LAUNCHES ‘GOBARDHAN YOJANA’
- The Haryana government has launched the ‘Gobardhan Yojana’ .
- It is to provide for the sale of organic manure and cow urine with an aim to benefit farmers.
- A provision of Rs 11 crore has been made to provide benefits of various projects under this scheme.
- He also distributed cheques of the ‘Fasal Bima Yojana’ to farmers at the event.
Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor:Kaptan Singh Solanki
FORBES: CRYPTOCURRENCY RICH LIST
- Forbes has released the first ever Cryptocurrency rich list 2018.
- It is a compilation of the 20 wealthiest people in crypto.There are now nearly 1,500 crypto-assets in existence, valued at an aggregate of $550 billion.
The Forbes’ Crypto Rich List:
1.Chris Larsen Cofounder, Ripple $7.5 billion – $8.billion
2.Joseph Lubin Cofounder, Ethereum and Founder, Consensys $1 billion – $5 billion 3.Changpeng Zhao CEO, Binance, $1.1 billion – $2 billion
INDIA AND AUSTRALIA SIGNS MOU FOR SECONDMENT PROGRAMME
- The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding for a Secondment Programme between India and Australia.
- It aims at better understanding of current economic policy issues between the two countries.
- The MoU will be signed between India’s Department of Economic Affairs and Australia’s Treasury for three months.
DUBAI RETAINS RANK AS WORLD’S BUSIEST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- Dubai International Airport has held on to its No 1 ranking as the world’s busiest airport for international travel, after seeing some 88.2 million passengers in 2017.
- Dubai Airports CEO Paul Griffiths says he expects the airport to see 90.3 million passengers in 2018.
- It first surpassed London Heathrow, previously the world’s busiest airport for international traffic, back in 2014 – and has kept the title ever since.
RBI TO LINK BASE RATE WITH MCLR
- The Reserve Bank will link the base rate for loans given by banks to the MCLR starting April 1, 2018 i.e. from the new financial year.
- It has been decided to harmonize the methodology of determining benchmark rates by linking base rate to MCLR as it is more sensitive to policy rate signals.
- The Marginal Cost of Funds based Lending Rates (MCLR) system was introduced on April 1, 2016 to tackle the problems of the Base Rate regime.
Governor: Dr Urjit Patel