CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 09, 2018omxadmin
CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 09, 2018
- 1,650 cr allotted for PM’s Research Fellows Plan
Under the scheme, students pursuing PhD in IITs and IISc will be offered fellowships worth Rs.70,000 to Rs.80,000 per month for five years A total of 3,000 fellows will be selected for the fellowship.
- Schools shut, transport hit in Andhra bandh against Budget
People took to streets during the state-wide bandh called to protest the “insufficient funds” allocated to the state in Budget 2018. The bandh was called by the Left parties and supported by the ruling Telugu Desam Party.
- Govt to secure degree certificates using blockchain : Reports
The govt is planning to issue tamper-proof degree certificates secured using blockchain technology from the 2019 academic year. The govt’s policy think-tank NITI Aayog is conducting trials on blockchain solution called India Chain.
- US lists three Pak-based militants as global terrorists
The US department of Treasury has designated 3 individuals allegedly linked to Pak-based terror networks including LeT and Taliban as Specially Designated Global Terrorists. The US urged Pak govt to deny sanctuaries to dangerous individuals and organisations.
- Serbia, Montenegro can join EU in 2025 : European Commission
They can join as a part of the EU enlargement plan for the Western Balkans. The commission said that the bloc’s future is not bound to be at 27, referring to the number of member countries that will be left in the EU after Britain exits.
- Chinese cops get glasses with facial-recognition technology
The glasses are connected to a police database that can match passengers with criminal suspects. So far, the technology has helped the police identify 7 people suspected of crimes including human trafficking.
- 44% Bitcoin transactions are for illegal activities : Study
The study by Australian researchers said that illegal activity amounting to $72 bn annually involves Bitcoin, which is almost the size of US and European markets for illegal drugs. However, it said Botcoin could just be an alternative payment method for same old crimes.
- Digital transactions rise to record 1.11 bn in January
Transactions worth about 131.95 tn were carried out during the month via digital means. The overall value of these transactions was also the second highest in a month in the past year.
- India win 3 straight ODIs against SA in SA for 1st time
With a 3-0 lead in the six-match series, India have ensured they cannot lose the series. The last time India failed to win an ODI series was in Jan 2016 in Australia.
- Both Jhulan, Kapil became 1st to 200 wkts in their 166th ODI
Jhulan Goswami became the 1st woman cricketer to take 200 ODI wickets achieving the feat 26 years after Kapil Dev who was the 1st male cricketer to reach the same milestone. Dev took his 200th ODI wicket against Windies while Goswami did it against South Africa.