Current Affairs in Short: 07 August 2019
ISRO announces Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research
• ISRO has announced its “Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research” to recognize and reward journalists who have actively contributed towards the field of space science, applications, and research.
• The articles published from 2019 to 2020 will be considered, says the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
• First category holds a cash price of Rs 5,00,000, a medal and citation and two journalists or freelancers of print media will be awarded. The second category of the award holds 3 cash prizes of Rs 3,00,000, 2,00,000 and 1,00,000 and citation each for journalists or freelancers of print media.
Parliament passes Consumer Protection Bill
• Parliament has passed the Consumer Protection Bill, 2019, with the Rajya Sabah approved it.
• The Lok Sabha has already passed it. The bill aims at protecting the interests of consumers by establishing authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumers’ dispute.
• The Bill has a provision to set up a Central Consumer Protection Authority to promote, protect and enforce the rights of consumers.
Chandrayaan-2 successfully completes its final earth-bound orbit-raising manoeuvre
• Chandrayaan-2 has successfully completed its fifth and final earth-bound orbit-raising manoeuvre today.
• ISRO has said in a tweet, the operation began at 15:04 hours, by firing the engine onboard the aircraft and went on for 17 minutes and 21 seconds.
• The next important move would be to inject Chandrayaan-2 in a trans-lunar path. It is scheduled to be held early in the morning on the 14th of this month.
5th National Handloom Day observed
• 5th National Handloom Day was held today at 16 NIFT Campuses and Weavers’ Service Centres in different States across the country.
• Handloom Mela and exhibition, workshops, panel discussion were organised and special stalls were put up for handloom products at Gandhinagar and Kolkata NIFT campuses.
• National handloom day seeks to focus on the contribution of handloom to the socio-economic development of the country.
Lok Sabha passes Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019
• The Lok Sabha has passed Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019 to the empowerment of transgender.
• The bill was passed by voice vote amid heavy protest by opposition parties. They were protesting over Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary was not being allowed to speak.
• Speaking on the provisions of the bill, Minister of State for Social Justice Ratanlal Kataria said that the bill makes provision for establishing a national authority for safeguarding rights of transgenders.