Current Affairs: March 09, 2018omxadmin
1. Environment ministry forms panel to regulate movement of timber from Northeast
• In order to regulate movement of timber from the Northeast to other parts of India, the Union Environment Ministry formed a committee to look into the matter and develop a new procedure.
• The committee was formed under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, in accordance with an order of the Supreme Court.
• The committee named the Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests of environment ministry’s regional office in Shillong as Chairman, representatives from two north-eastern states as members, representative from the railways ministry (North-Eastern Region) as member.
• The Conservator of Forests of environment ministry’s regional office in Shillong will be the member secretary.
2. Number of wealthy Indians to grow by 71%: Wealth Report 2018
• As per Knight Frank’s Wealth Report 2018, the number of wealthy Indians, having assets of over USD 50 million, is likely to grow by nearly 71 per cent to 4980 by 2022 from 2980 in 2017.
• The ‘City Wealth Index’ of Wealth Report 2018 ranked Mumbai at 16th spot among the top 20 costliest global cities where USD 1 million can buy only 92 square metres of area.
• Delhi stood at 22nd and Bengaluru at 26th positions, respectively.
• In terms of wealthy population, India will be the third largest contributor in Asia after China and Japan.
• The report also revealed that the number of ultra-wealthy people, with USD 50 million or more in net assets, rose by 11630 in 2017, taking the global total to 129730.
• The report tracked the growing super-rich population across 314 cities of 52 countries.
3. Jupiter’s Jet-Streams are Unearthly: NASA Juno Findings
• As per the data collected by NASA’s Juno mission to Jupiter, the atmospheric winds of Jupiter run deep into its atmosphere and last longer than similar atmospheric processes found here on Earth.
• The findings will improve understanding of Jupiter’s interior structure, core mass and eventually its origin.
• Another major findings was that the massive cyclones that surround Jupiter’s north and south poles are enduring atmospheric features and are encountered in our solar system.
4. Donald Trump signs proclamations to impose tariff on steel, aluminium
• US President Donald Trump signed two proclamations that impose 25 per cent tariff on imported steel and 10 per cent on aluminium.
• The tariffs, which will come into effect in 15 days, primarily targets the massive steel and aluminium dumping by China.
• Only two countries Canada and Mexico have been exempted from the new import tariff, that too till the time the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) negotiations are complete.
• Other countries will have to negotiate with US Trade Representatives (USTR) if they want exemptions from the steel and aluminium import tariff.
5. Biplab Kumar Deb sworn in as Chief Minister of Tripura
• BJP leader Biplab Kumar Deb was sworn in as the 10th Chief Minister of Tripura on March 9, 2018.
• Governor Tathagata Roy administered the oath of office and secrecy to Deb in a ceremony held at Assam Rifles ground in Agartala.
• While, Jishnu Debbarman took oath as the Deputy Chief Minister. Along with Chief Minister and Deputy Chief Minister seven other cabinet ministers also took the oath.
6. Mutawallis to be awarded for excellent management of Waqf properties
• Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi announced that the Central Government will award ‘Mutawallis’ who will perform well in management of Waqf properties to ensure utilisation of these properties for upliftment of the society.
• Waqf Mutawallis are the custodian of waqf properties across the country.
• The announcement came during the first National Mutawalli conference of Central Waqf Council in New Delhi.
• Waqf Mutawallis from Bihar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand attended the first Mutawalli conference.
7. Haryana government to open 100 bedded Mother, Child Care Hospital in Panipat
• Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal announced that government will open a 100 bedded Mother and Child Care Hospital in Panipat to provide free sanitary napkins to adolescent girls and organize free medical camp once in a month exclusively for senior citizen women.
• In addition, process to recruit 1000 woman constable in Haryana Police will be started soon.
• These announcements were made on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
8. Saubhagya Yojana launched in Uttarakhand
• Union Minister of State for Energy R.K. Singh along with Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the Saubhagya Yojana in the state on March 9, 2018.
• Under the scheme more than 2 lakh 50 thousand families will be provided electricity connection in the state.
• It will provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connection to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal households electrification in the county.
9. Famous Sufi singer Pyare Lal Wadali died of cardiac arrest
• Famous Sufi singer Pyare Lal Wadali died of cardiac arrest in a hospital in Amritsar on March 9, 2018. He was 66.
• He was the younger brother of Puran Chand Wadali of the Wadali brothers.
• Born into the fifth generation of musicians, Pyarelal and Puran Chand Wadali became popular with their Sufi music and were spotted after performing at the Harballabh temple in Jalandhar in 1975.