Daily Current Affairs: April: 06, 2018
Dear readers, This post contains important current affairs. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge.
1. Sunken World War II Aircraft Carrier, found off Australia
• The wreck of a US aircraft carrier that sunk during World War Two has been found off the coast of Australia.
• The United States navy stated that the ship – Lexington – along with 11 of its 35 aircrafts was discovered by a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen on March 4, 2018.
• Some of the ship’s aircrafts are reported to be in a remarkably good condition.
2. Biplab Deb to be new Chief Minister of Tripura
• Biplab Kumar Deb will be sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Tripura.
• The BJP State President was unanimously elected as the leader of the legislature party after a meeting of the newly elected members of BJP and its ally – Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura in Agartala on March 6.
• The meeting also decided that Jishnu Debbarman will be the Deputy Chief Minister.
• The oath-taking ceremony will be held on March 9.
3. Centre to appoint eminent jurist in panel for selecting Lokpal
• The Centre on March 6 told the Supreme Court that the selection committee for appointing a Lokpal has decided to first fill up the vacancy of an eminent jurist in the panel, which also includes the Prime Minister.
• Attorney General KK Venugopal told this to a bench comprising Justices Ranjan Gogoi and R Banumathi.
• The apex court posted the matter for further hearing on the 17th of next month.
• Senior advocate P P Rao was appointed as an eminent jurist in the panel but the post became vacant after he passed away last year.
• The bench was hearing a contempt petition filed by an NGO, which has raised the issue of non-appointment of a Lokpal despite the apex court’s verdict in April last year.
4. Veteran Bollywood actor Shammi passes away
• Veteran Bollywood actor Shammi passed away on March 6, 2018 following prolonged illness. She was 89.
• Born as Nargis Rabadi in 1929, Shammi began her career in Bollywood in 1949 starring in Ustad Pedro, where she shared the screen with Shaikh Mukhtar and Begum Para.
• Her legacy on the big screen includes films such as Jab Jab Phool Khile (1965), Ittefaq (1969), The Burning rain (1980), Arth(1982), Hum (1991), Khuda Gawah (1992), Coolie No. 1 (1995) and Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999).
• The actor’s last silver screen outing was in the Farah Khan and Boman Irani starrer Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi.
• Shammi was also well-known for her comic roles in television shows such as Dekh Bhai Dekh, Zabaan Sambhal Ke, Shriman Shrimati and Filmi Chakkar.
5. South, North Korea to hold summit in April
• North and South Korea will hold their first summit in more than a decade in late April, 2018.
• The announcement was made by South Korea’s presidential office on March 6, 2018 after its senior delegation returned from its two-day visit to the North where they met leader Kim Jong Un.
• North Korea said during the meeting that there was no need to keep its nuclear programme as long as there was no military threat against it and the safety of its regime was secured.
• North Korea also said it was open to talking with the United States regarding denuclearisation and normalising ties.