Daily Current Affairs: April: 11, 2018
Dear readers, This post contains important current affairs. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge.
IG Vijay Chafekar appointed as Flag Officer of ICG West
• Inspector General Vijay Chafekar was on April 11, 2018 appointed as the new Flag Officer of Indian Coast Guard (West Region).
• Chafekar succeeds Inspector General KR Nautiyal, who has been promoted as Additional Director General and ICG Commander of Eastern Seaboard based in Vizag.
• The ICG (West) comprises a critical area that extends to the outer limits of the Exclusive Economic Zone from the coasts of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Daman and Diu and Lakshadweep.
Google Doodle celebrates birth anniversary of Kundan Lal Saigal
• Google Doodle on April 11, 2018 honoured singer-actor Kundan Lal Saigal on his 114th birth anniversary.
• Famously known as the ‘Shehansha-e-mausiqi’ or ‘Sangeet Samrat’, Saigal recorded 185 songs apart from acting in 36 films in 15 years of his career.
• His talent for both acting and singing was recognised after the success of Yahudi ki Ladki, a costume epic-based on famous play ‘Misar Kumari’.
• He passed away in January 1947.
CJI is first among equals, will decide allocation of cases: SC
• The Supreme Court ruled on April 11, 2018 that the Chief Justice of India (CJI) is the ‘first among equals’ and has the constitutional authority to decide allocation of cases and setting up of benches to hear them.
• A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud ruled this while dismissing a PIL seeking framing of guidelines for rational and transparent allocation of cases and constitution of benches to hear them.
• The PIL was filed in the backdrop of the January 12, 2018 press conference by senior-most apex court judges- J Chelameswar, Ranjan Gogoi, Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph.
ISRO to launch first privately built satellite IRNSS-1L
• Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch first privately built satellite IRNSS-1L, the backup navigation satellite with a new atomic clock
• The satellite has been developed by a consortium of mid and small sized firms led by Bengaluru-based aerospace firm Alpha Design Technologies under the guidance of ISRO.
• The satellite will be launched from Sriharikota by the home-grown polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV) rocket.
NITI Aayog’s Northeast Forum highlights ‘HIRA’ for development
• The first meeting of NITI Forum for Northeast outlined five development missions for promoting sectors like horticulture, tourism and food processing.
• These development projects in the region will be based on the concept of ‘HIRA’ which stands for Highways, Internet ways, Railways and Airways.
• The NITI Forum for Northeast was formed in February 2018 to explore and formulate the framework for sustainable growth of the Northeast.
Chandra Shekhar Ghosh re-appointed as CEO of Bandhan Bank
• Chandra Shekhar Ghosh was re-appointed as Managing Director and CEO of Bandhan Bank for a period of three years with effect from July 10, 2018.
• His re-appointment was approved by the bank board.
• Earlier, the Bank also announced the decision of its Non-Executive Chairman Ashoke Kumar Lahiri to resign from his post, as he was finding it difficult to simultaneously discharge his duties at the bank and as a member of the 15th Finance Commission.
DefExpo-2018 begins in Tamil Nadu
• The 10th edition of a DefExpo India- 2018, a biennial exhibition of weapons and military hardware, began at Tiruvidanthal, Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu on April 11, 2018.
• The tag line of DefExpo this year is “‘India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub” to showcase India’s capability in export of defence systems and components.
• More than 670 exhibitors including over 150 international exhibitors will take part in the DefExpo.