Daily Current Affairs: June 12, 2018
major impact on the world,” Solheim said.
• He had said previously that the World Environment Day will be a call to action and leadership and asserted India is the “perfect” place for that to happen. India was the global host of the day this year.
Haryana government to increase duty of home guard volunteers
• The Haryana government has decided to increase the duty of home guard volunteers from 90 days to 150 days per year.
• The government has also decided that the remuneration to the home guard volunteers would be made through e-payment in their bank accounts.
• The call out roster of home guard volunteers would be made available at the website of the department from July so as to ensure transparency in the system.
• Apart from this, no payments would be made through cheque or in cash rather the payment of remuneration would be made through e-payment latest by first week of the month.
Axis tops value, Paytm volumes in mobile banking
• According to State Bank of India’s (SBI) annual report for 2017-18, Axis Bank commands the largest value share of mobile banking transactions at 17. 2 per cent but Paytm tops volumes with 22 per cent.
• However, Paytm’s value share is a meagre 0.25 per cent, as per the report.
• On the other hand, ICICI Bank has a 17.1 per cent share of transactions by value and 9.7 per cent by volume.
• SBI’s volume share slipped by over 5 percentage points from nearly 25 per cent at the end of March 2017 to 19.5 per cent in January 2018. The lender also lost value share to 16.8 per cent from a high of 44.4 per cent a year ago.
• Mobile-banking usage itself has seen a steep jump, with volumes soaring a steep 91 per cent to 1,871 million in FY18 from 977 million in FY17.
Haryana to develop Madhogarh Fort
• Haryana Minister Ram Bilas Sharma has said the Madhogarh Fort in Mahendragarh would be developed on the pattern of the Mughal Gardens in Pinjore
• Sharma added that with the completion of the Madhogarh-Mahendragarh-Narnaul-Rewari Heritage Circuit, the pace of development would be accelerated in southern Haryana.
• This circuit would not only benefit Mahendragarh and Rewari districts, but also the neighbouring districts of Bhiwani and Gurugram, by creating direct and indirect job opportunities for the youth especially.
• The construction work on the 35-km-wide and two-km-long road leading to the fort at a height of about 400 metres, has already begun.
China to launch broader environmental inspections this month
• China will expand environmental inspections to more cities and regions in a new round of checks from June 2018 to April 2019, as a part of its three-year anti-pollution plan.
• Apart from smog-heavy Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and nearby areas, the inspections will also target the Yangtze River Delta region, including Shanghai and Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui provinces and some 11 cities in the northwestern provinces of Shanxi and Shaanxi.
• Two hundred teams with a total of some 18,000 inspectors and support staff will be sent out, tripling the workforce for the inspections carried out during this past winter.