Daily Current Affairs: March 29, 2018
Dear readers, This post contains important current affairs. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai returns to Pakistan for first time since Taliban attack
• Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai returned to Pakistan on March 29, 2018, for the first time since she was shot by Taliban militants.
• Yousafzai, now aged 20 and a vocal human rights activist, was shot in the head by a gunman for campaigning for female education in 2012.
• She is expected to hold meetings with Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi.
• Though the details of the trip have been kept secret in view of the sensitivity, it is expected to last for four days.
Mahavir Jayanti celebrated across India
• Mahavir Jayanti, the birth anniversary of 24th and last Jain Tirthankar Bhagwan Mahavir was celebrated across India on March 29, 2018.
• The day is considered to be one of the most auspicious events for Jain people and holds a lot of importance in their religious life.
• Devotees of Lord Mahavir and his followers celebrate this festival by chanting prayers, offering prasad and participating in chariot processions.
• Lord Mahavir, through his teachings of non-violence and compassion, showed an enlightened path for happiness and progress of humanity.
Williamson replaces Warner as Sunrisers captain
• New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson on March 29, 2018 replaced disgraced former Australian Vice-Captain David Warner as the captain of IPL franchise Sunrisers Hyderabad.
• The decision was announced a day after the Australian was barred from the IPL for his role in the ball-tampering controversy in South Africa.
• Warner, declared the chief plotter of the infamous incident, apologised for his role in the scandal. He was the captain of SunRisers last season.
• The senior batsman has been banned for a year and ruled out of any leadership role in future due to the incident.
Permanent Indus Commission meet begins in Delhi
• The two-day meeting of the Permanent Indus Commission (PIC) between India and Pakistan began in New Delhi on March 29, 2018.
• The commission is expected to discuss various issues under the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT).
• The Indian delegation for the annual meeting comprises India’s Indus Water Commissioner P K Saxena, a representative of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and technical experts.
• Pakistan’s six-member delegation for the commission’s 114th meeting is being led by Syed Muhammad Mehar Ali Shah.
• The meeting will take place in the backdrop of the continuing tension between the two countries over a host of issues, including the alleged harassment of diplomats.
Verdict in Salman Khan black buck poaching case on April 5
• The court of the chief judicial magistrate (Jodhpur Rural) is scheduled to announce the verdict in the1998 black buck poaching case against actor Salman Khan on April 5, 2018.
• The court, where the trial of the case has been in progress for the last 19 years, reserved the judgment on March 28 after the final arguments.
• Magistrate Dev Kumar Khatri reserved the order to be pronounced on April 5 in the presence of the superstar and other accused, including a local, Dushyant Singh.
• Salman Khan was accused of killing two black bucks on October 2, 1998 in Kankani village in Jodhpur during the shooting of ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’.
• He was acquitted in two poaching cases by the high court and in a case under Arms Act by the lower court.
ISRO to launch communication satellite GSAT-6A
• The Indian Space Research Organisation would be launching GSLV-F08 mission carrying the GSAT-6A communication satellite on March 29, 2018 from the second launch pad in Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
• The countdown for the mission started on March 28 following clearance from the Mission Readiness Review committee and Launch Authorisation Board.
• GSAT-6A, similar to GSAT-6, is a high power S-band communication satellite built on I-2K satellite bus with a mission life of about ten years.
• The main feature of the satellite is providing mobile communication to India through multi beam coverage facility.
Assam CM directs swift filing of charge-sheet in crimes against women and children
• Assam Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal on March 29, 2018 directed all superintendents of police to ensure swift and correct filing of charge-sheet in all crimes against women and children so that justice can be given to the victims.
• The Chief Minister said that no criminals should be able to get away taking advantage of the loopholes in the law.
• He also directed the Deputy Commissioners and SPs to conduct intensive awareness campaigns so that people are made aware to prevent heinous crimes taking place against children and women in the state.
North & South Korea agree to hold historic leaders summit on April 27th
• North and South Korea have agreed to hold a historic summit of their leaders on April 27, 2018. The agreement came at a ministerial-level inter-Korean meeting held on March 29 in Panmunjom, North Korean.
• According to a joint news statement issued after the meeting, the officials from both the nations agreed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will meet at a South Korean facility in Panmunjom.
• The officials also agreed to hold working-level talks next Wednesday in Panmunjom to discuss matters such as protocol and security for the summit.
• The announcement comes a day after news emerged of discussions between North Korean leader and Chinese President Xi Jinping. At the meeting in Beijing, the North Korean leader repeated his offer to denuclearise the Korean Peninsula.