Daily Current Affairs Quiz: March, 26
26 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as 2018 Abel Prize, Australian ball tampering row and International Energy Agency report among others.
1. Robert Langlands, who won the 2018 Abel Prize, is a renowned Mathematician of which country?
b) United States
2. Which Indian sportsperson was named as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast?
a) Virat Kohli
b) P V Sindhu
c) Dipa Karmakar
d) Akashdeep Singh
3. What was the theme of the 2018 World Tuberculosis Day (WTD)?
a) End TB Globally
b) Leave no one behind
c) Wanted: Leaders for a TB-free world
d) Unite to End TB
4. ISRO tied up with which PSU company for the production of space-grade lithium-ion cells?
5. Which city became the first North Indian city to install digital automatic speed gun cameras for traffic management?
b) New Delhi
6. Which state launched a multi-utility vehicle Naipunya Ratham or World on Wheels?
b) Andhra Pradesh
7. Which nation’s cricket captain stepped down from his position after a ball-tampering row?
a) South Africa
d) New Zealand
8. The National trust organised a national conference in Delhi to discuss the latest developments in which genetic disorder?
a) Down Syndrome
9. Which state’s government has spent over Rs 27 crore in advertisements during 11 months of 2017-18 fiscal year?
a) Uttar Pradesh
d) Madhya Pradesh
10. A district belonging to this state plans to install artificial nests to breed sparrows and other bird species.
11. Which state’s government observed the martyrdom day of Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru as ‘Youth Empowerment Day?
c) Uttar Pradesh
12. According to International Energy Agency (IEA) report, carbon emissions of which country rose by 1.7 per cent to 9.1 gigatons in 2017?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Canada
Canadian mathematician Robert P Langlands won the prestigious Abel Prize 2018 for his visionary programme connecting representation theory to number theory. He will receive the award from Norway’s King Harald V at an award ceremony in Oslo on May 22, 2018.
2. (b) P V Sindhu
Shuttler P V Sindhu was named as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for the opening ceremony of the 2018 Commonwealth Games (CWG), which is scheduled to be held in Gold Coast, Australia on April 4, 2018.
3. (c) Wanted: Leaders for a TB-free world
The World Tuberculosis Day (WTD) was observed on March 24, 2018 to help spread awareness about the disease, communicate prevention measures as well as to commemorate efforts undertaken against the disease. The 2018 theme was “Wanted: Leaders for a TB-Free World”.
4. (d) BHEL
ISRO signed a Technology Transfer Agreement (TTA) with Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) to transfer the technology for the manufacture of space-grade Li-Ion cells. ISRO uses Li-Ion batteries as the power source for satellite and launch vehicle applications.
5. (a) Chandigarh
Chandigarh became the first North Indian city to install digital automatic speed gun cameras for traffic management. The high-tech speed cameras are equipped with night vision technology and will record the speed of oncoming traffic, helping Chandigarh Police to issue challans to anyone driving above the city speed limits.
6. (b) Andhra Pradesh
The Andhra Pradesh government launched a multi-utility vehicle “Naipunya Ratham or World on Wheels to bring technology to the remote corners. As part of the Smart village Smart Ward Programme, the Naipunya Rathaams will facilitate digital literacy, digital skills and create an awareness on various government schemes.
7. (c) Australia
Australian captain Steve Smith and Vice-captain David Warner stepped down from their positions after they were found to have a hand in the ball tampering row that came to light during the third day’s play against South Africa in the Cape Town Test on March 24.
8. (a) Down Syndrome
A National Conference on Down Syndrome was organised by the National Trust under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. The main objective of the conference was to provide excellent opportunities to the parents to obtain information about latest development in education and skilling and inclusive living of persons with Down syndrome.
9. (b) Uttar Pradesh
The Assam government has incurred an expenditure of Rs 27.23 crore on advertisements during 11 months of 2017-18 fiscal. In addition to the spending for advertisements in media, the government had sent a proposal of Rs 1.91 crore to the finance department for putting up hoardings at public places.
10. (d) Odisha
Over 5,000 artificial nests are being installed for the endangered house sparrows and several other bird species in Odisha’s Ganjam district to create a habitat for their breeding. The move has been undertaken to keep a check on the alarming decline in the population of house sparrows.
11. (b) Punjab
The Punjab Government observed March 23, 2018, the martyrdom day of Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh, Shaheed Sukhdev and Shaheed Rajguru as ‘Youth Empowerment Day’. In the state-level function organised at Khatkar Kalan, the ancestral village of Bhagat Singh in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar district, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh paid homage to the three freedom fighters.
12. (a) China
According to International Energy Agency (IEA), global energy-related carbon emissions rose to a historic high of 32.5 gigatons in 2017, after three years of being flat, due to higher energy demand and the slowing of energy efficiency improvements. The emissions by China alone rose by 1.7 per cent to 9.1 gigatons, limited by renewables deployment and more rapid switching to gas from coal.