Ram Jethmalani, Former Law Minister and Eminent Lawyer, Passes Away at 95
Ram Jethmalani: Senior Supreme Court lawyer Ram Jethmalani passed away on September 8, 2019. He was 95. Jethmalani was a former minister for Law and Urban Development in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cabinet. He also served as the chairman of the Bar Council of India.
Jethmalani, a criminal lawyer par excellence, fought several high-profile cases. In his early career, he fought a famous case KM Nanavati Vs State of Maharashtra in 1959. Later, in 2011 he fought multi-crore 2G scam cases. Among the famous cases that he fought are Hawala Scam, Arun Jaitely defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal, Fodder Scam case, Sahara-SEBI case, etc.
In 2017, he announced retirement from the legal profession.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah, on his demise, said “Deeply pained to know about the passing away of India’s veteran lawyer and former Union Minister Shri Ram Jethmalani ji. In him, we have not only lost a distinguished lawyer but also a great human who was full of life. Ram Jethmalani ji’s passing away is an irreparable loss to the entire legal community. He will always be remembered for his vast knowledge on legal affairs. My condolences to the bereaved family. Om Shanti Shanti Shanti“.
About Ram Jethmalani:
- Ram Jethmalani was born on 14 September 1923.
- He received his LLB degree from Bombay University at the age of 17. He also did LL.M. from the same Bombay university.
- He fought several high-profile and controversial case like the case of Rajiv Gandhi’s killers, defended Indira Gandhi’s killers, Ketan Parekh’s scam case, L K Advani’s Hawala scandal, Manu Sharma’s in Jessica Lal murder case.
- Defended Amit Shah’s in Sohrabuddin fake encounter case, Kanimozhi’s defence in 2G spectrum case.
- Defended Baba Ramdev, on use of force on the followers of Baba Ramdev at Ramlila grounds, Asaram Bapu’s in a sexual assault case.
- He started his political career during the emergency period but became Member of Parliament in 1977 by defeating the serving Law Minister H. R. Gokhale from Bombay. He became a member of Rajya Sabha in 1988. He became Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs in 1996 in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
- He serves as a Union Minister of Urban Affairs and Employment in 1998.
Awards & Achievements:
International Jurist Award
World Peace Through Law Award