Top Current Affairs: 23 June 2018
1. K Vijay Kumar appointed advisor to J&K Governor
- Retired IPS officer K Vijay Kumar has been appointed as an Advisor to the Governor of Jammu & Kashmir governor.
- He was Security Advisor to the Union Home Minister. Besides, IAS officer BB Vyas has been appointed the Chief Secretary of the state.
2. HRD nod to inter-university yoga centre in S-VYASA varsity
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development has approved setting up an inter-university yoga centre at Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana in Bengaluru.
- The announcement was made by Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar.
3. Haryana CM announces to set up ‘Yog Aayog’ in state
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced to set up a ‘Yog Aayog’ in the state. The ‘Yog Aayog’ will promote yoga in the state.
- Practising yoga leads to physical, mental and spiritual development and is helpful in all round development of one’s personality.
4. SKOCH Group has conferred the ‘Best performing Social Sector Ministry’
- Ministry Of Women & Child Development Received SKOCH Award
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development for the achievements in delivering the promises made and for its significant achievements and initiatives from the last 4 years.
1. Memoir of Priyanka Chopra to be published in 2019
- The memoir named ‘Unfinished’ is a collection of personal essays, stories and observations of the actor, producer, activist and UNICEF goodwill ambassador.
- Bollywood Actor Priyanka Chopra will come out with her memoir in 2019 in which she will write about things which she has never spoken before.
2. M. Scorsese to receive Lifetime Achievement
- Director Martin Scorsese will be conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Rome Film Festival 2018.
- Martin Scorsese is an American director, producer, screenwriter, actor and film historian.
3. Guinness world record was created by conducting the largest yoga session
- Guinness world record was created by conducting the largest yoga session on International Yoga Day at Kota, Rajasthan where 1 lakh people together performed yogic exercises.
- Yoga guru Ramdev conducted the yoga session attended by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, ministers, officers and local people at RAC ground.
4. Russia to Supply Technical Security Equipment to India
- Russian State Atomic Energy Corporation (Rosatom) had announced that its subsidiary Nikiret has signed an agreement with Indian engineering services firmCore Energy Systems Pvt Ltd for the promotion of its technical security equipment in India.
- Rosatom State Nuclear Energy Corporation is a Russian state corporation headquartered in Moscow that specializes in nuclear energy. Established in 2007.
1. HDFC Bank featured in Brandz ranking
- HDFC Bank has featured at 60th rank in the Brandz Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking.
- The brand value of HDFC Bank at $20.9 billion, up 22%.
2. Arijit Basu Appointed SBI’s New Managing Director
- The government appointed Arjit Basu as Managing Director of the country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI).
- He will fill the position that fell vacant following the elevation of Rajnish Kumar as the chairman.
3. Microsoft acquires AI start up Bonsai
- Microsoft announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire Bonsai, an artificial intelligence (AI) start up to boost its AI and machine learning capabilities.
- Bonsai was founded in 2014 based in Berkeley, California
4. Air India unveils revamped premium class
- Air India unveiled the revamped first class and business class in its fleet of Boeing aircraft flying to international destinations to woo high-end travellers and increase the occupancy from 60% to over 80%.
- The revamped premium class has been christened as “MaharajahDirect” and the airline is expecting to boost its revenue to Rs 6.5 crore per day from the existing Rs 4 crore it nets from these premium classes.
1. Hockey Champions Trophy
- India dominate Pakistan in a 4-0 win over the arch-rivals in Champions Trophy 2018.
- Mandeep Singh scored two goals for India while Dilpreet Singh and Lalit Upadhayay scored a goal each for India.
2. India thrash Pakistan 36-20 at Kabaddi Masters Dubai
- India defeated Pakistan 36-20 in their first match of the inaugural six-nation Kabaddi Masters at the Al-Wasl Sports Complex in Dubai
- Pakistan was all-out twice during the match, with Indian captain Ajay Thakur scoring the most raid points. India is scheduled to play Kenya next this weekend
3. Neymar Brazil’s 3rd all-time Top Scorer
- Neymar scored in the 97th minute in Brazil’s 2-0 victory against Costa Rica at 2018 FIFA World to become his nation’s outright third highest goal scorer.
- Neymar has now scored 56 goals for Brazil and is only behind Ronaldo (62) and Pelé (77).Ministry of Women & Child Development receives the ‘Best Performing Social Sector Ministry’ SKOCH Award
- SKOCH has conferred the ‘Best performing Social Sector Ministry’ award on the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The Ministry received the awards for its significant achievements and initiatives from the last 4 years.
- The ministry’s flagship schemes such as Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has achieved huge success within a short period of time.
- Earlier in the month of June, the foundation of the Sakhi Suraksha Advanced DNA Forensic Laboratory was laid in Chandigarh, and 5 more advanced forensic labs are expected to be set up in Guwahati, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune and Bhopal.
- In addition, the ministry will provide special forensic kits for rape cases to all police stations and hospitals, the funds for which will be provided from the Nirbhaya Fund.
Arijit Basu appointed SBI’s new Managing Director
- The government has appointed Arijit Basu as Managing Director (MD) of the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- Basu will take up the position left vacant following the elevation of Rajnish Kumar to the post of chairman.
- Arijit Basu will settle in as MD with effect from the date of taking over charge till his superannuation in October 2020.
- Basu has previously served as managing director of SBI Life Insurance.
Global hunger on rise again, driven by conflict and climate change: UN report
- The number of people hungry around the world has gone up for the first time in more than a decade, according to a new United Nations report.
- Approximately 815 million people were hungry last year – an increase of 38 million from the previous year – affecting around 11% of the world’s population.
- The report was launched in Rome, and is the first UN global assessment on food security and nutrition to be released following the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development aims to end hunger and all forms of malnutrition by 2030.
Russia to supply technical security equipment to India
- A subsidiary (Nikiret) of Russian state atomic energy corporation Rosatom has signed an agreement with Indian engineering services firm Core Energy Systems Pvt Ltd for the promotion of its technical security equipment in India.
- An outcome of the partnership is developing security systems and solutions for the defense sector.
- It is also expected to benefit other strategic installations such as nuclear, oil and gas in India.
- The partnership between Nikiret and Core will also explore opportunities in the Indian government’s Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) project.
CEMS sets up first-of-their-kind labs in Mumbai and Vizag
- The Centre of Excellence in Maritime & Shipbuilding (CEMS) will set up 24 labs (6 in Mumbai and 18 in Vizag) with the First-of-its-kind infrastructure in the Asia Pacific region.
- The CEMS is a well-funded start-up in skill development for the maritime and shipbuilding sector.
- The labs being set up include ones for study in the field of Advance Manufacturing, Hull Design, Automation, Advance Machine & Robotics, Virtual Reality and many others.
On President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cuba, India and Cuba sign 2 MoUs
- India and Cuba have signed two MoUs – one on Traditional Medicine and Homeopathy, and the other on Biotechnology.
- The agreements were reached after talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Cuban counterpart Miguel Mario Díaz-Canel in Havana.
- At the meeting, Cuba reiterated its support to India’s candidature for a permanent seat in UN Security Council.